Spark Point Fundraising is seeking a Grant Writer to support clients with grant writing, reporting, cultivation of new funders, and stewardship of current funders. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in a fast-paced working environment and who embodies the values of kindness, compassion, and equity. Strong candidates will also have 1-2 years of experience in a full-time grant writing position, but we recognize that strong writers from a variety of backgrounds may have the foundational skills needed to succeed in this role.
Specifically, a Spark Point Grant Writer is someone who: 1) is driven by a desire for excellence, 2) has the confidence and knowledge to ask the right questions and show up strong in client meetings, 3) has a storytelling orientation, 4) is able to synthesize information from disparate sources and conduct independent research when necessary, 5) enjoys managing a high volume of work and keeping track of a lot of information, 6) knows how to manage their time effectively and prioritize, and 7) thrives in a fast paced environment that requires navigating multiple clients and issue areas. And, let’s face it, you’re going to need a sense of humor too.
The role of Grant Writer is responsible for 1) producing well-written, story-focused, compelling grant proposals and reports for nonprofit clients (85%). To us, this includes ensuring that all budgets, attachments, and other documentation are prepared along with the proposal or other narrative document as required by the potential funder (Don’t worry if you don’t know how to do all of this. We’ll teach you); 2) building and maintaining strong, supportive, and responsive relationships with clients that make them feel like Spark Point is an indispensable part of their team (10%); and 3) contributing to internal company initiatives and projects as needed (5%).
Other Responsibilities Include:
● Paying attention to detail
● Using excellent project management and coordination skills to meet or beat all deadlines for client deliverables
● Building strong relationships on a foundation of respect, compassion, and kindness
● Protecting and maintaining Spark Point Fundraising’s brand and reputation by maintaining the highest professional standards of performance, ethics, and integrity
● Jumping in to support your colleagues when needed
● Seeking out and pursuing opportunities for professional growth and development
Required Skills and Experience
● Nonprofit Sector – The person in this position will ideally have 1-2 years of experience in the nonprofit sector (staff, consultant, or volunteer) or equivalent experience in the private sector. Candidates without direct experience may still apply, but must be able to articulate their interest in the nonprofit sector.
● Grant Writing – Ideally, the person in this position has managed the development of at least 12 successful grant proposals in the past 12 months, or comparable previous experience. This position is 85% grant and report writing, so to be successful the person in this position has to both be good at and enjoy grant writing. Other applicants with strong writing backgrounds – in journalism, marketing, communications, creative writing, etc. – are encouraged to apply.
● Client Relations – The person in this position must understand and follow the basic tenets of client relationship management and professional services delivery.
● Communication – The person in this position must be able to effectively (meaning without ambiguity or animosity) communicate with colleagues, clients, and others in a direct and respectful manner and must prioritize direct communication as the most effective means of conveying meaning. In other words, say what you mean and mean what you say.
● Creative Problem Solving – Being a client-facing service provider, the person in this position must be able to provide creative and helpful solutions to problems with the ultimate goal of achieving the highest possible level of client satisfaction.
● Ingenuity – The person in this position must have experience with creating, designing, or otherwise coming up with a new idea, creating a plan for executing on the idea, and completing the execution of said plan.
● A Commitment to Ending Racism – Our commitment to equity is not superficial. Spark Point, like many organizations, is on a journey to eliminate racism and white supremacy from its operations. If this resonates with you then you are a good fit for this position.
About Spark Point Fundraising
Spark Point Fundraising is a boutique consulting firm that fights for equity. We work with clients in health care, human services, workforce development, advocacy, the arts, and other critical issue areas that help our neighbors and communities thrive. We provide outsourced foundation relations services (that’s where you come in) and fundraising strategy development to nonprofits that are changing the world. As a team, we are rooted in the values of kindness, compassion, respect, and integrity. We believe in equity. The majority of our clients are Black-led organizations serving communities of color. As such, a commitment to racial justice and anti-racism are central to our approach to client service.
Spark Point Fundraising is a woman-owned firm. Our team includes people of different ages, races, and sexual orientations. We are committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, and we actively encourage people of diverse backgrounds to apply for this position. We recognize that nonprofit fundraising, as a field, is predominantly white, and that many structural barriers limit opportunity for people of color. As a part of our commitment to racial justice, we strongly encourage candidates with skills, talent, and drive to apply, even if your experience does not match the ideal candidate description listed here. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Details at a Glance
- Time Commitment: Full Time
- Start Date: May 2, 2022
- Application Deadline: April 29, 2022
- Experience Level: Intermediate
The base salary for this position is $45,000-$50,000 annually. In addition, the position will pay out performance-based compensation, which is dependent on meeting various benchmarks.
In addition to financial compensation, Spark Point will offer the following additional benefits:
● Health Insurance – 100% employer-sponsored for employees
● 401K – 3% of salary plus an additional employer match of up to 3%.
● Paid Time Off – 15 days
● Holidays – 9 Federal holidays and 3 floating holidays
● Professional development – $500 per year to pay for conferences, seminars, or other professional development opportunities
● Flexibility – Spark Point values work-life balance and flexibility in work environments, so you will be able to work at the times, locations, and pace that work best for you, provided that all deadlines are met, all client meetings proceed appropriately, progress is being made toward KPIs, and you attend any meetings that the CEO requires everyone to attend in person. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are committed to providing all appropriate accommodations to support staff members’ health and safety. We are a fully-remote workplace.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English, both oral and written, is a necessity for this position.
Remote: Work may be performed anywhere in United States
Associated Location: Washington, DC, USA
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this job (don’t be deterred if you don’t meet all of the skill criteria above) please complete an application here.
We will accept applications on a rolling basis and look forward to hearing from you!